Tuesday, March 3, 2009

backpedalling

So, my posts are becoming increasingly few and far between. This is mostly because I've been really really busy doing lots of work, in all its forms, and tying up lots of loose ends. However now that I'm entering a period of unemployment (somewhat) I am looking forward to being able to dedicate more time to thinking again, and less time to wasting time making money. Ha!

Here are a couple of things I've been doing...

I've started doing a bit of writing for ye olde street press, X-press, so have been spending my spare moments doing research and writing a few stories. My first story was about the exhibition at the Fremantle Arts Centre called the Yellow Vest Syndrome. I got to interview three of the artists in the show who worked collaboratively during a residency in the Moores building (Daniel Bourke, Jeremy Davis and Lisa Purcell). It was a really great experience to have a talk to them, and really affirming to hear about other young Perth artists working in similar ways to how I have worked with the Inter Collective. They held an interactive BYO tshirt tie-dying session a few weekends ago, which I think worked really successfully, in terms of interactivity and participation: people got right into it without hesitation and, maybe because they were creating something they would potentially wear, seemed to take more care and pride in the outcome of it. I have noticed that otherwise, these kind of 'interactive' art projects are started with the best intentions, but almost always end up in a 'who can draw the biggest/most offensive cock-and-balls' competition.


We finally got to materialise something with the Inter Collective a couple of weeks ago, as we were asked to do a temporary installation for a function for the Planning Institute of Australia. It was a challenge: we worked with almost no time or money, but were quite happy with what we did, despite the fact that we had very little interaction from the function attendees. Laura posted a lot more about it on the Elusive Isolation blog. There are pictures, too! Read it and tell us what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment